Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Social Media

Social networks are an extremely effective form of communication. For me professionally, at the moment, they help me stay in touch with teachers for whom I have subbed for and have been asked back. I can actually see using a social network solely for the purpose of obtaining work until the day that I FINALLY get my own room. Once that happens, this tool can be used to help me grow professionally, keep in contact with fellow staff members, and communicate more effectively with both students and parents-setting up a classroom only FaceBook page for assignments, class activities and other important goings on. Personally, social networks allow to stay in contact with friends and family through either brief or full messages, posting videos and photographs, etc... Without breaking stride, it seems, I can switch back and forth between work (school, mostly) and FB and find out what's happening with friends all over the world.
Students use these networks for games and communication more than anything, which is just another distraction between them and their classwork, which is quite a drawback. Even though they are not supposed to have them in class, I notice many kids sneaking their phones out to text or play. This isn't the case for the majority of kids but it's enough to distract those who really need to be paying attention. I'm sure as time goes by, that tech will be readily available and lessons will be engaging enough that students will not jump at a chance to go off the rail. But even then, they will still need to be closely monitored.
As far as my peers, both subs and regular classroom teachers, are concerned; social networks allow the freedom to find new and creative ways for students to investigate and explore subject matter I have heard of teachers allowing students to create their own blogs and websites for book reviews, unit creation-where the kids gather their own "intel" and present material in groups as experts on any number of topics. Social networks, as I have already explained, are also effective forms of classroom communication, allowing freer access to happenings in the classroom, student behaviors and academic performance. 

1 comment:

  1. We have to teach them how to use networks and their devices properly in school. It is easy for me to say since I don't sit in front of kids anymore, but I do think if we involve them and let them use the tools that they will begin to use them properly.

    Many of the devices will help kids especially if they have a disability.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Bravest Lion fan I know by Czech is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.