Sunday, September 25, 2011

RSS Page Reflection

     For this assignment I have chosen to add 3 web page feeds and 1 blog. I chose EduTech because it is university linked, supported and connected to the MAET program. It not only provides current tech postings but links and ideas associated with this program. I chose eLearning because it provides updates, links to useful tech ideas and programs that should help me will this class and the ones that follow. I chose the NCTE site because of its focus on literacy education, something that I consider a weak subject matter. Lastly, I chose Tony Bates’ blog because after reading several articles and clicking on many links, I found his blog to provide readers with many helpful articles, posts and links.


Here is my first screen dump showing all the required feeds except for Tech and Learning, a site that refused to cooperate-anyone who had success with this site is welcome to share how they succeeded. It also includes my 4 new feeds.
     This screen dump includes comments I made on an article entitled, "the New normal?" The author discusses what the ideal or "normal" form of education may have to be re-configured as other options to standard practices begin to emerge, like: vocational/tech only programs, eLearning, home schooling and other alternative means begin to gain more traction.It discusses how students become disenfranchised and de-valued in a process that is suppoesed to benefit them.
     One thing I've discovered about RSS feeds is that no matter how often you check the feeds, you still find yourself waiting for a post and/or comment. I have have checked on several of my feeds and especially articles that I liked only to find that I have been the last person to comment. While other sites, such as NPR, CNN and perhaps even ESPN are news sites that have articles that hit many times and shared on Twiiter, Facebook, etc...Their feeds are suspect to the everyday man who posts to create controversy, show off their education or lack of; posts come from all people and despite safeguards, that are hurtful, rascist, and ignorant.
     It amazes me that through these feeds, people are able to share information towards a common goal and that despite delays in the sharing process, help speed up the overall process. The sharing of ideasacross the internet enables people of all professions communicate in a manner that will help improve the human condition, with ideas on surgical techniques to teaching models to better ways to incorporate social media and other technologies into the educational process.
     I myself have learned through the article, "The New Normal."My experiences teaching and subbing has definitely shown me that children do not all learn the same way. This article explains that perhaps it's because the material is not relevant to their home life, maybe work is more valued than education. More and more students are engaging in home schooling and vocational ed and eLearning. How schools adapt to these significant changes will help determine their future success and relevance.
     I can definitely see adding RSS feeds as part of my weekly planning. Groups can be formed based on the core subjects, specialized interest groups where "experts" would share their info with the class, or even setting up a feed based on a social ill/disease and then turned into a community activity or service learning. Instead of me being the focal point of they're education, the students would be handed the reins and asked to lead with me providing support.

1 comment:

  1. RSS feeds bring the research to you! They save so much time so you have more time to read them.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Bravest Lion fan I know by Czech is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.