Sunday, October 2, 2011

Social Networks and Teaching

Social networks are becoming increasingly more useful in all settings, both personal and professional. Frrom a workplace/professional point of view, social networks can help teachers discuss ideas for units and lessons, teaching methods and how to create better avenues of communication between parents/students, teachers, and even administrators. However, caution must be exercised when creating a social network involving parents and students to make sure that private information is not put out for public consumption. Items that can be shared include assignments, both classroom and homework, their due dates and what's missing; social agendas, including field trips, speakers, classroom activities and parties. An art gallery can be created, grades can be posted. Anything that parents and teachers need to better effectively communicate and help their children can included. Personally, I think social networks are a great thing. I use several, including FaceBook and Twitter to keep in touch with family and friends that are scattered all over the world. They allow me to briefly check in when I don't have the time to email, call or gasp-write a letter. I can share everything from pictures to videos, to recipes and unit plans.
As for my peers and students, I don't see any fundamental differences between how I use social networks and how they use them. They are are used for socializing, communication, work and play. The only difference might be the percentage of time between work and play, but I'd imagine that no matter the age, it amounts to 50-50, with slight fluctuations depending on what particular assignment is due when.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Bravest Lion fan I know by Czech is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.